Contact Me

Visit my website: www.BrynnWinters.ca

Email me: BrynnWinters@live.ca

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/BrynnWinters

Come along for the jouney...

People are always telling me that I should write my own novel or have my own sitcom. According to some, I am a bit of an odd ball who leads a fairly interesting and atypical life. Well that's why I have created this blog, for the sheer entertainment value of my friends, co-workers and much appreciated clients...that and the simple fact that I like an audience. So welcome! And please do come along for the journey, I'd like to share a little bit of my peculiar life with you...

Thursday, June 10, 2010

To be or not to be...monogamous, that is the question!


Of course, when Hollywood stars or politicians have extramarital affairs, the whole world gasps. But if we peek into human biology, anthropology and sociology, the monogamous human appears to be non-existent.

Fact: Humans are mammals, and if we look to the mammalian world, just 3 to 5% of the about 5,000 species of mammals form lifelong, monogamous bonds.

Some scientists view both social and sexual monogamy in humans as a societal structure rather than a natural state. So if being monogamous is not a natural human state then why does society chastise us for mingling in our neighbours sheets? We have been taught that to stray from our spouse is considered to be ‘bad, bad, bad!’ But most of us have done so at least once in our life, or at least had the urge to do so. Wouldn’t that mean that the majority of humans are ‘bad’? Or maybe it’s only those of us that get caught that are ‘bad’. What a contradiction; societal expectation vs. natural instinct...gee wonder who wins this tug’o’war, duah. Why do we as a society make things so difficult for ourselves? Instinct always triumphs in the end. My philosophy is to just go with the flow and follow your natural instincts because human nature is neither ‘good’ nor ‘bad’, it just is.